Looking back on my math learning, the one teacher who stands out is the person who made me feel comfortable in her classroom. I recall that when she taught me something I didn’t understand the first time, she never made me feel like I was inferior or that I should already know it. She would slow down, give another illustration, or clarify the same idea in a different way until it began to make sense. So I never felt afraid to put my hand up or answer questions even when I didn’t know. In the end, I know I learned more in her class because I wasn’t afraid to be wrong.
My least favorite math teacher was almost completely opposite. He was more concerned with methods, formulas, and achieving the right answer. I remember sometimes being able to complete the homework because I had memorized the steps, but if the question was presented differently, I would get stuck on it. I also did not feel as comfortable asking him to explain something again. Over time, I stopped thinking about the arithmetic and started concentrating more on whether my response was correct or incorrect. I learned from that experience how easily a student can seem to be doing well while really not understanding the content.
I'm thinking about each of them differently as I'm getting ready to become a teacher. I want every student in my classroom to be at the ease of speaking up, asking questions and making mistakes as they are here to learn. At the same time, my experience with my least favourite teacher reminds me not to assume that a correct answer always means a student understands. I want to ask students how they got their answers, encourage different approaches, and make mistakes feel like a normal part of learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment